Commissions are open for Trailblazer Keyboards!
Commissions with Trailblazer Keyboards are a chance to create the board of your dreams!
- I take a back-seat role in terms of design, allowing your design language to stand front and center.
- I provide a fully optimized pipeline at every stage in the process, from prototyping to delivering your product to your community's homes.
- I can ensure that the group buy will go smoothly and not suffer from continual delays.
- I offer my full expertise and experience with metal finishing, cnc technique, and factory negotiation.
- I can play liaison between factory and vendor if desired and can also offer vendor services for NA/USA customers.
Commissions with Trailblazer Keyboards are NOT the typical 1-off projects.
- 1-offs are bad for the Designer-Manufacturer relationship.
- 1-offs are overpriced due to low production count.
- 1-offs are underperforming due to lack of extensive R&D testing
Requirements for a Commission
- Have a community around 30-50 members or be willing to get an Interest Check to 30-50 interested members.
- Have about $3-5k for prototyping costs.
- Have an interest in designing a novel boards. DO NOT 1:1 CLONE EXISTING PROJECTS.
- Have an interest in running the group buy and providing community with updates as the group buy progresses.
How Commissions work
- I charge an upfront fee, depending on the complexity of the project, usually between $250-$1000.
- We design the board together. This is usually a collaborative effort with you, your community, and etc. I prefer the project to not be secret, but an experience together.
- Prototypes are ordered and paid by you. They will ship to me for primary assembly testing, then shipped to you for a secondary opinion/approval.
- PCBs are exclusively designed by FJ Laboratories
- We obtain a quote for Group Buy pricing, and set a date for the group buy. At this point, you may request a margin if desired. Zero-profit group buys are highly discouraged, because your time is as valuable to me as my own.
- We run the group buy. And lastly, follow through with production and fulfillment.